Virtually all data on student performance links high achievement and appropriate behavior at school to positive parental involvement in the education of the child. Even more interesting are studies show that high achievement is associated more with parent-child communication at home than with parent involvement at school. I NEED YOUR HELP.
Ask them: What did you learn today? Tell me about an easy assignment? Tell me about a difficult assignment you had today? What was the most challenging thing you did today? What are you unsure of? What happened next? Anything you learned today that might be on the test? Which homework assignment are you going to start first? If you could do a little better what would your teacher say you could improve on?
Any question that builds on the importance of an education is a good question.
If you look to your left you will see some of the activities your child will be involved with including blogs and podcasts. There are also policies, assignments, and learning resources that will help them. Take a look at the Course Description as well so you can see what our focus will be for the year.
eSchool Parent Portal
What is eSchool Parent Portal?
- The eSchool Parent Portal is a secure website that allows parents/guardians to view a snapshot of their child's academic record.
Why don't I see my child's grades for an assignment in the School Parent Portal?
- When an assignment is handed in, time is needed to grade the assignment. Certain assignments such as tests, projects, or long writing assignments such as research papers, essays, etc. take a great deal of time to grade.
- Also, some grades can be part of a larger project and a teacher may choose to post grades after the entire project has been graded.
- Grades are only shown after teachers have finished entering them in the eSchool grade book and have published them to the portal. It is up to the teacher’s discretion when those grades are published to the portal
- A teacher may also be out when assignments are due. Short term substitute teachers do not have access to the grade book in eSchool to enter grades.
To access the parent portal and view grades: Go to Franklinville Central School District’s web site and under “Site Short Cuts” (to the right) click on “ESchool Parent Portal.” This will explain a bit more about the process and how to activate this account.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
-a 2005 study showed high school dropouts earned $10,000 less than a high school graduate
-over a lifetime, those without a high school diploma earn $260,000 less than those who graduate from high school
-dropouts cost society $209,000 over the course of a lifetime
-dropouts are far more likely to be tax consumers than tax payers, use welfare and public service, and commit crimes
The rest of the story...
-60% of manufacturing companies (factory jobs) said high school students were poorly prepared for entry level jobs.
-the United States lost 2,295,300 jobs to China between 2001-2007
-New York alone lost 127,000 jobs (many in manufacturing) to China in the same time period
-China isn't the only country taking jobs from the US
90% OF WELL PAYING JOBS REQUIRE POST SECONDARY EDUCATION (education beyond high school)
Info and statistics taken from The Global Achievement Gap and The Buffalo News
This year we will be working on skills and using tools that will prepare your child to face the challenges of a rapidly changing world.
Throughout the year, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at school or drop me an email.
716-676-8060 ext-3203 between 3:30 and 4:30 Monday and Wednesday and 2:30-3:15 Tuesday and Thursday.
If I'm not available please leave a message and I will return your call as soon as possible.